Common around Germany and the Alsace wherever wine is grown, this Onion Pie is a very welcome addition to any winter dinner. Enjoy warm, fresh from the oven, or days later with a glass of wine.
|Instant dry yeast||Packet 1|
|Milk, lukewarm||1 Cup|
|All Purpose Flour||3 Cups|
|Onion, peeled and th||2 Pounds|
|Raw Bacon, Diced||5 Ounces|
|Creme Fraîche||2 Cups|
|Nutmeg, grated||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk with the sugar and a dash of the flour.
Stir, cover, and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes.
Add the rest of the dough ingredients, mix (by hand or stand mixer) until a ball forms.
Cover and keep in a warm place until the dough rises.
In the meantime preheat the oven to 425°F and sautee the onions with the bacon in a large skillet until translucent but not brown.
While sauteeing the onions mix the Eggs, Creme Fraîche, freshly grated Nutmeg, and pepper together with a whisk until smooth and well combined.
Roll the dough out and place into a roasting pan. Give it about a 1 inch "lip".
Add the onion and bacon mixture on top of the dough.
Pour the Creme Fraîche mixture over the onions and smooth out.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until dough is firm and top is golden brown.
ContributionsTried this Recipe? Show us how it turned out!
RelatedRecipes similar to Zwiebelkuchen (German Onion Pie)
- Flammkuchen (Simple form)Alsatian, Snack - 45 mins prep timeBy Jonas M Luster
- Hot Cross BunsAmerican, Snack - 120 mins prep timeBy Aliena Varghese
- Whole wheat spinach pizzaItalian-American, Main-Course - 180 mins prep timeBy Marek Thi
- Chicken filled braided BreadArabic, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Reemol Bony
- Apple Goat Cheese King Cake120 mins prep timeBy SutekhRising
- Quail Egg and Beet Leaves Wholewheat PizzaItalian, Main-Course - 30 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha
- Zie Germans are coming! (To Dinner): Bratwurst,...German, Main-Course - 40 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer
- Chocolate Pappardelle With Wild Boar Sausage Ra...Italian, Main-Course - 120 mins prep timeBy Passione Per Cucina
- Barmbrack Halloween CakeAmerican, Appetizer - 120 mins prep timeBy Pandara
- KozunakEuropean, Side-Dish - 120 mins prep timeBy Chris Lüscher
- Braided Cinnamon WreathAmericanBy Kholoud Hawari
- Julia Child's Chicken FricasseeFrench, Entree - 120 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Bacon BreadBy IBCA
- Schnitzel Sandwich and Warm Potato SaladGerman, Main-Course - 50 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer
- Red Onion And Parmesan Raviolli With Red Wine S...Italian, Main-Course - 120 mins prep timeBy Passione Per Cucina
- Home made PizzaItalian, Main-Course - 18 mins prep timeBy Reemol Bony
- KulchasPunjabi, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Mareena Jerrish
- Stuffed BunsContinental, Snack - 60 mins prep timeBy Aliena Varghese
- Pesaro-Style Ravioli With Fresh Tomato SauceItalian, Entree - 120 mins prep timeBy Passione Per Cucina
- Sauteed Spinach, German StyleGerman, Side-Dish - 6 mins prep timeBy Jonas M Luster