Kozhukattai is a South Indian recipe and there are many variants of it, both sweet and salted. One of them is rice kozhukattai which is a breakfast item.
Soak rice in water overnight and keep it aside.
Grind rice to a coarse mixture alongwith salt and very little water.
When the coarse mixture is ready, add grated coconut to it and grind again. Make sure the mixture is not very fine.
Heat a little oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds. Add red chillies to it and roast them.
Add the mixture to it and keep on stirring till it turns thick and no trace of water remains. Remove it from the stove.
After the mixture cools, prepare oval balls out of it. You can use a little water to aid the shaping process.
Steam the balls in a pressure cooker using an ordinary vessel or an idli steamer. Add 2.5 cups of water to the cooker.
Steam for 20 minutes and serve kozhukattai with chutney.
RelatedRecipes similar to Rice kozhukattai
- Rice and toor daal ballsSouth-Indian, Main-Course - 30 mins prep timeBy Ruchi Goyal
- Arachu Kalakki South-Indian, Side-Dish - 15 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Manga Perakku (Mango Chutney) South-Indian, Side-Dish - 15 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Ammini Kozhukattai Tamil, Main-Course - 45 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Pineapple PachadiSouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Cucumber Curry in CurdKerala, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Faseela K
- Pineapple PachadiSouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 60 mins prep timeBy Nimmy Raghu
- Kappa PuzhukkuKerala, Main-Course - 30 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Modhakam (Kozhukottai)South-Indian, Entree - 60 mins prep timeBy Sundari Giri
- Thalassery NeypattalBreakfast - 30 mins prep timeBy Divya Nigeth
- PachadiSouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 40 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Kurukku KaalanSouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 45 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Arikadukka - Stuffed Mussels... A Malabar Speci...Kerala, SnackBy Preetha Soumyan
- Pudina Chutney (Mint dips)Indian, Side-DishBy Meenakshi R
- Vella Kozhukattai (Sweet Modak)Tamil, Dessert - 20 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- MolagootalMain-Course - 10 mins prep timeBy Krishnan Kasturi
- Red Coconut ChutneySouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 10 mins prep timeBy Priya s Mathew
- Ammini kozhukattai - Steamed Rice dumplingsSnack - 30 mins prep timeBy Anusha Krishnan
- Mani KozhukattaKerala, BreakfastBy Preetha Soumyan
- Green beans with fresh coconutAndhra, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Mano Reddy