Beef pot roast with carrots and onions. Perfect on a cold winter day!
Make sure the beef is room temperature. Generously rub salt and pepper all over the roast.
Pre-heat the oven to 275 degrees.
In a thick-bottomed covered pot that can go in the oven (i.e. Le Creuset or dutch oven), add 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
Turn the heat up to high. Sear the roast on high heat for about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the roast when nicely browned. Set aside on a plate to rest.
Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot. Then add the onions and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic to the pot. Cook for another 3 or 4 minutes until the vegetables are browned. Remove the vegetables from the pot and set aside.
Deglaze the pot with the cup of red wine over high heat for about a minute. Scrape the bottom of the pan and mix.
Add the roast and vegetables back to the pot. The pour in the beef broth, add the bay leaves, and then cover the pot. Bring to a simmer. Remove the pot from the stove and place it in the oven. Cook at 275 degrees for 4 hours, until the meat is tender.
RelatedRecipes similar to Pot Roast
- Jacques Pepin's Beef StewFrench, Entree - 180 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon French, Main-CourseBy Pandara
- Beef StockAmerican, Soup - 330 mins prep timeBy James Andrews
- Beef StewAmerican, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Justin
- Tyler Florence's Beef StroganoffRussian, Entree - 210 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Julia Child's Chicken FricasseeFrench, Entree - 120 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Timpano/Ragu alla NapoletanaItalian, Main-CourseBy Susan G.
- Beet BourguignonFrench, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Laura
- Slow-cooker Mongolian BeefChinese-American, Entree - 540 mins prep timeBy Adam Phillabaum
- Crispy Braised Chicken Thighs With Olive and Fe...American, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Matt Maroon
- Red Wine Braised Beef with Cauliflower PureeFrench, Main-Course - 90 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer
- Pot RoastAmerican, Main-Course - 210 mins prep timeBy jacksonwilliams
- Cripsy Chicken Confit with QuinoaMain-Course - 1240 mins prep timeBy BoredOfTheInternet
- GoulashAmerican, Entree - 55 mins prep timeBy BoredOfTheInternet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale SoupAmerican, Soup - 120 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Guinness Beef StewAmerican, Entree - 90 mins prep timeBy Pandara
- Oxtail with Tomatoes and Polenta Italian, Main-Course - 240 mins prep timeBy Passione Per Cucina
- Spanish Style Braised lamb shanksSpanish, Entree - 180 mins prep timeBy James Andrews
- Beef StragonoffRussian, Entree - 120 mins prep timeBy Chef Luciano
- Beef and Bacon PieAmerican, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer