Olan is a speciality for Malayali feasts. It is simple to make and absolutely delicious.
Cut the pumpkin and ashgourd into 2-inch pieces of half inch thickness and boil them together with salt and a bit of water. Both these vegetables have high water content. So no need to add a lot of water.
Once they are soft and boiled, add the boiled red cow pea (vanpayar) to the mixture and stir. Add the cut green chillies and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Add the coconut milk to the mixture and stir. Once the coconut milk just comes to boil, turn off the flame and garnish with curry leaves. Add a tsp of coconut oil on the top and cover the dish. (Do not let the coconut oil boil for long as it tends to change the texture of the curry)
Mix and serve after ten minutes.
ContributionsTried this Recipe? Show us how it turned out!
RelatedRecipes similar to Olan with coconut milk
- Erissery - One of the curries of Kerala SadyaKerala, Side-Dish - 25 mins prep timeBy Viju Chacko
- Ash gourd and red beans in coconut milk (Olan)Kerala, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Ramya Menon
- Red Pumpkin & Black Eyed Beans ErisseryIndian, Main-Course - 20 mins prep timeBy vkchandra
- ErisseryKerala, Side-Dish - 45 mins prep timeBy Ramya Menon
- AvialKerala, Side-Dish - 25 mins prep timeBy Nimmy Raghu
- Mathanga Pachadi/Pumpkin pachadiKerala, Side-Dish - 45 mins prep timeBy Prajusha Vinod
- Morozhicha Koottan/Vegetable In Curd GravyKerala, Side-Dish - 25 mins prep timeBy Nimmy Raghu
- moru kootan/curryKerala, Side-Dish - 15 mins prep timeBy Sujitha Nair
- Oolan curryKerala, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Syama Varma
- Sweet mango curry with coconut (Mambazha kootan)Kerala, Main-Course - 25 mins prep timeBy Parvathy Jayakrishnan
- Pumpkin erissery/Mathanga erisserySouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Anju Balan
- Pumpkin Dal currySouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Saj
- Raw Mango in Coconut MilkKerala, Side-Dish - 15 mins prep timeBy Girija Haridas & Haritha Haridas
- Mathanga ErisseryKerala, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Indu Mathew
- Egg (Omelette) CurryIndian, Breakfast - 30 mins prep timeBy Abeer Abdul Aziz
- Pineapple PachadiSouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Payar MezhukkupurattiIndian, Side-Dish - 15 mins prep timeBy Shyamala Ravi
- Chicken StewKerala, Breakfast - 30 mins prep timeBy Shyamala Ravi
- Kumbalanga erachi curry ( Ash gourd cooked with...Indian, Main-Course - 45 mins prep timeBy Teena Sunoj
- Kadala CurryIndian, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Shyamala Ravi