Muthusaram is a homemade snack made in the tamil brahmin household. It is very easy to prepare with easily available ingredients. You need the presser and a disc with star shaped holes to get the desired shape.
Mix well rice flour, chickpea flour, urad dal powder and moong dal powder. To it, add red chili powder, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and ghee( can be substituted by vanaspati)
Add water to it and mix well till a smooth dough with no lumps is prepared.
Place the disc with star shaped holes in the press and fill the press with the dough.
Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is heated, squeeze the press in circular motion over the oil so that the dough is dropped in the oil. Make sure both sides turn golden brown in color.
Using a perforated ladle, remove from the oil.
When it cools down, you may separate the threads and store as smaller pieces in an air tight container.
ContributionsTried this Recipe? Show us how it turned out!
RelatedRecipes similar to Muthusaram ( Mullu Murukku)
- Moong Dal Murukku (Mullu Murukku) - Indian Kumb...Indian, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Chitra Agopal
- ThattaiSouth-Indian, Snack - 60 mins prep timeBy Sundari Giri
- Dosa podiSouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Uppu cheedaiSouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 60 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Wheat KachoriIndian, Snack - 60 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- Uzhunnu vadaSouth-Indian30 mins prep timeBy Reshma Venugopal
- Arabic FalafelsArabic, Snack - 20 mins prep timeBy Swathika Dhanabalan
- BhakarwadiIndian, Snack - 60 mins prep timeBy Sundari Giri
- Dahi WadaIndian, Snack - 30 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- Vella SeedaiSouth-Indian, Snack - 60 mins prep timeBy Kavita Srinivasan
- Daal Baati with Mirch TaporeRajasthani, Main-Course - 50 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- Maddur vadaSouth-Indian, Appetizer - 30 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Ammini kozhukattai - Steamed Rice dumplingsSnack - 30 mins prep timeBy Anusha Krishnan
- Homemade Masala KachoriAppetizer - 45 mins prep timeBy Anju Tony
- Vangi BathIndian, Main-Course - 35 mins prep timeBy Teena Sunoj
- Dal DhokliIndian-Gujarati, Entree - 50 mins prep timeBy Shivani Nair
- Multigrain Dosa with Lauki/Soraikai ChutneySouth-Indian, Breakfast - 30 mins prep timeBy Amrita Shivkumar
- Aaram Number (Diamonds)South-Indian, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Meenakshi R
- Pita bread and hummusMiddle-Eastern, Snack - 50 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha
- Easy dal fryIndian, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Lee