this is one of those accidents that turned out to have a happy ending... an indian-meets-mediterranean type of dish... definitely worth a try. it will turn out yummy no matter what!
|Mutton (with bone)||250 Grams|
|Garlic clove, crushed||1|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||handful 1|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion, finely chopped||1|
|Tomato, finely chopped||1|
|Green chillies, slit lengthwise||2|
|Red chilli powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala, divided||1 1⁄2 Teaspoons|
|Madras curry powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tomato ketchup||2 Tablespoons|
|Uncooked pasta shells (small)||3 Cups|
prepare a stock of the mutton by first sauteeing the shallots, garlic clove, cinnamon and bay leaf in some oil. add the mutton pieces to this and let it brown a bit.
top it up with water (about 2 - 3 cups) and let it come to the boil wen almost boiling, add 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, salt and pepper. let it boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
let the stock simmer for about half an hour. (you want to draw out as much flavour from the bones as possible). in between, skim off any foamy bits you see on top.
when the stock is done, take it off the heat and let it steep for about 2 hours. then, strain the stock through a fine sieve. reserve the mutton pieces and shallots.
cook the pasta according to package directions till al dente. drain and set aside.
while the pasta is cooking, heat some oil in a non-stick pan. when the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
when the seeds splutter, add the slit green chillies, curry leaves, giner and garlic. stir for about 10 seconds and reduce the heat 9you dont want them to burn).
when the garlic turns translucent, add the chopped onion, a little salt and turmeric powder. stir well and let the onions cook (about a minute).
as the onions are cooking, chop the reserved mutton pieces into bite size pieces and set aside. add the shallots to the cooking onions, mix well.
when the onions are done, add the tomato and stir well. cook covered for about half a minute on medium heat.
next, add the red chilli powder and coriander powder and cook till the spice powders lose their raw smell. at that point, add the tomato ketchup. mix well. cook covered for about 2 minutes on a low flame.
by this time the tomatoes should be well cooked and almost melted into the masala base. to this, add the mutton pieces, garam masala and madras curry powder. stir around for about a minute, and then add 1 1/2 cups of the earlier prepared mutton stock.
let the gravy come to a simmer, and season with salt and pepper.
add the cooked pasta to this and toss it all together to coat with the mutton gravy.
check for seasoning, and adjust the salt if required. the pasta is ready!
RelatedRecipes similar to Masala Mutton Pasta
- Mutton CurrySide-Dish - 45 mins prep timeBy Mareena Jerrish
- Mutton Curry with potatoesIndian, Side-Dish - 45 mins prep timeBy Priya s Mathew
- Authentic Mutton curryIndian, Main-Course - 45 mins prep timeBy Shyamala Ravi
- kozhi/chicken mulakitathuIndian, Main-Course - 20 mins prep timeBy Sujitha Nair
- FISH & BANANA CURRYMain-Course - 20 mins prep timeBy vkchandra
- Methi Mushroom MasalaIndian, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem
- Sri Lankan Chicken CurrySri-Lankan, Main-Course - 30 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- White corny spinachIndian, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- nadan mutton fryIndian30 mins prep timeBy Sujitha Nair
- Mutton Kurma with Crispy french fries30 mins prep timeBy Jennu John
- Kheema PavIndian, Main-Course - 20 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem
- mutton masala currySouth-Indian, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Sujitha Nair
- Punjabi Dum AalooPunjabi, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- Chicken Thoran Kerala, Side-DishBy MINI
- Spicy Chicken Curry South Indian StyleIndian-Kerala, Main-Course - 35 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem
- Corn CapsicumIndian, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- Aaloo Tamatar SabziIndian, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Brijdeep Kaur
- Yogurt Chicken CurryPakistani, Side-Dish - 25 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem
- Tomato RiceIndian, Main-Course - 20 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem
- Potato N Mushroom CurryIndian, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem