One of Julia Child's most iconic dishes: Boeuf Bourguignon.
|Chunk Bacon||6 Ounces|
|Olive Oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Stew Beef||3 Pounds|
|Carrot, Peeled And Sliced||1|
|Onion, Peeled And Sliced||1|
|Red Wine (Bordeaux, Chianti, Burgandy)||3 Cups|
|Beef Stock||2 Cups|
|Tomato Paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter, Unsalted||1 1⁄2 Tablespoons|
|Olive Oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoons|
|Beef Stock||1⁄2 Cup|
|Salt and Pepper||To Taste|
|Butter, Unsalted||2 Tablespoons|
|Olive Oil||1 Tablespoon|
Remove the rind from the bacon/pork belly.
Cut the pork into lardons (1/4in x 1 1/2in).
Simmer the lardons in 1 1/2 quarts of water for 10 minutes.
Drain the lardons and pat dry.
Preheat oven to 450F/230C.
Brown lardons in 1 TB olive oil in a heavy casserole or Dutch oven (not shown).
Remove the browned lardons to a plate.
Brown the beef (small batches at a time) in the bacon fat.
Once browned, remove beef from pot and continue with the rest of the beef in small batches.
Sauté sliced onion and carrot (optional) in the same pot until softened.
Return beef and lardons to the pot.
Add 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 2 TB flour. Toss to coat.
Put pot in oven for 4 minutes uncovered.
Toss again and return for another 4 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 325F/162C and remove pot.
Add about 3 cups red wine and enough beef stock to cover.
Add 1 TB tomato paste, 3 smashed garlic cloves, 1 sprig thyme, and 1 bay leaf. Bring up to a simmer.
Cover and place in the oven for 3-4 hours. If needed, adjust the temperature to maintain a simmer.
Add 1 1/2 TB each of butter and olive oil to the skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add ~20 pearl onions.
Sauté the onions, rolling them to get an even browning.
Add 1/2 cup beef stock, salt and pepper to taste, 1 sprig thyme, 1 bay leaf, and 2 sprigs parsley.
Cover and let cook for 40-50 minutes until the onions are tender and the liquid is mostly evaporated.
For the mushrooms, add 2 Tb butter and 1 TB olive oil to a pan over high heat.
Add 1lb mushrooms and shake/toss for about 5 minutes.
When lightly browned, remove the mushrooms from the heat and set aside.
Remove pot from oven when beef falls apart.
Pour stew into a sauce pot through a fine mesh sieve.
Return beef and lardons to the clean pot.
Add the onions (carefully).
Skim fat off of the sauce.
Return sauce to stove and let simmer for 1-2 minutes, skimming fat as needed, until it is your desired taste and thickness.
Pour sauce over the meat and vegetables.
Cover and let simmer over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes.
When everything is heated through, you are ready to serve.
Garnish with parsley and eat!
ContributionsTried this Recipe? Show us how it turned out!
RelatedRecipes similar to Julia Child's Boeuf Bourguignon
- Jacques Pepin's Beef StewFrench, Entree - 180 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Beef StockAmerican, Soup - 330 mins prep timeBy James Andrews
- Tyler Florence's Beef StroganoffRussian, Entree - 210 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Philly Cheesesteak StewAmerican, Main-Course - 50 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer
- Slow Carb Chicken and Chorizo GumboAmerican, Soup - 120 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer
- Pot RoastAmerican, Main-Course - 210 mins prep timeBy jacksonwilliams
- Pot RoastAmerican, Main-Course - 240 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Lobster BisqueAmerican, Appetizer - 180 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem
- Crispy Braised Chicken Thighs With Olive and Fe...American, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Matt Maroon
- Beet BourguignonFrench, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Laura
- Salisbury Steak and Scalloped PotatoesAmerican, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer
- Creamy Tomato SoupEnglish, Soup - 25 mins prep timeBy Donna George
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Kale SoupAmerican, Soup - 120 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Chicken, Bacon & Rice SoupAmerican, Soup - 60 mins prep timeBy Raymond Selzer
- Beef StewAmerican, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Justin
- Vegetable StockAll, Soup - 60 mins prep timeBy James Andrews
- Braised Beef BrisketSlow-Cooking, Main-Course - 360 mins prep timeBy Siraj Hameed
- Beef Pot RoastAmerican, Entree - 150 mins prep timeBy Chef Luciano
- Julia Child's Chicken FricasseeFrench, Entree - 120 mins prep timeBy Nadine
- Chicken noodle soupAmerican, Soup - 20 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha