From the north to the south Italians have different regional Easter recipes.
In the South from the Treccia Pasquale in Puglia, to the Casatiello in Naples and to the Cuzzupe in Calabria you will find different types of baking savoury or sweet. Their recipes vary a little but what they all have in common is that they have real eggs attached. Eggs are certainly one of the most classic symbols of Easter: they mean new life and rebirth.
They make for such pretty baking. I chose the sweet version of them as they will look gorgeous on the Easter festive table. Because they are made with yeast for bread baking you will need to let them rise for a few hours but it is certainly worth it. You will get the texture of brioche bread: soft, fragrant and simply delicious.
Definitely worth a try!
Melt the yeast with the lukewarm water then add 5 tbsp of flour. Mix the ingredients well and make a ball. Put it in a bowl covered with a cloth and let it rise for an hour in a warm place.
When it has risen well, add the rest of the flour, sugar, 3 eggs, lemon and orange zest and the melted butter. Work the dough energetically with your hands for about 10 minutes. It should be slightly on the sticky side.
Divide the dough into 3 and roll it on the table with your hands making long stripes. Make a plait out of them leaving just a small quantity of dough to decorate over the eggs.
Now join both ends of the plait making a ring and lay it on a greased baking tray. Let it rest for 2-3 hours covered with a cloth in a warm place.
Place the 4 eggs into the dough, make a cross over them with the dough stripes. Beat an egg and brush it all over the cake and cook at 180C for 30 minutes until golden.
ContributionsTried this Recipe? Show us how it turned out!
RelatedRecipes similar to Italian Easter brioche with encased eggs
- Whole Wheat BreadEnglish, Main-Course - 60 mins prep timeBy Nimmy Raghu
- Ladi PavIndian, Side-Dish - 180 mins prep timeBy Madhavi Prabhakar
- Chicken filled braided BreadArabic, Side-Dish - 30 mins prep timeBy Reemol Bony
- Pizza Casareccia Italian, Main-Course - 105 mins prep timeBy Anju Purushot
- Living with a Biscuit lover – Torcettini de Sai...Italian, Snack - 120 mins prep timeBy Just a girl from aamchi mumbai
- Italian Easter Mimosa cake with pineappleItalian, Dessert - 50 mins prep timeBy Alida Zamparini
- Julia Child's BriocheSide-DishBy Pandara
- Zaatar ManaqishLebanese, Side-Dish - 20 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha
- Crusty Artisan BreadAmerican, Entree - 1440 mins prep timeBy Jalaja
- Quail Egg and Beet Leaves Wholewheat PizzaItalian, Main-Course - 30 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha
- Apple Goat Cheese King Cake120 mins prep timeBy SutekhRising
- Cinnamon RollsAmerican, Breakfast - 30 mins prep timeBy Mareena Jerrish
- Twisted Hotdog BunsSnackBy yescook
- Home made bread with herbs and olive oilItalian, Snack - 45 mins prep timeBy Alida Zamparini
- Manakish - Leham, Za'atar , Chili or CheeseArabic, Snack - 20 mins prep timeBy Georgina Kurian
- Garlic and Cheddar Cheese Pull apart BreadItalian-American, Snack - 180 mins prep timeBy Just a girl from aamchi mumbai
- Wheat Sandwich Rolls American, Breakfast - 20 mins prep timeBy Beula Pandian Thomas
- Olive & Onion Focaccia BreadItalian-American, Snack - 20 mins prep timeBy Karishma Sharma
- Sea Salt & Rosemary Focaccia BreadItalian, SnackBy Passione Per Cucina
- CroissantsFrench, Snack - 15 mins prep timeBy Lejna Ramachandran