During winter time there is hardly any fruit in season but what many people always have in the house is the classic apple.
I think apples are the best fruit for cake making. They are so versatile and delicious and can be used in many types of cakes and also in savoury dishes too.
Over the last weekend I had some friends around and I wanted a cake to go with our afternoon tea.
This tart went down very well: simple and light. I added a handful of sliced almonds to the topping which gave it a crunchy bite + it added to the flavour too.
You know that in order to make a good shortcrust pastry you need to work your ingredients very quickly to avoid overheating the pastry. And to do so it will help to mix up the ingredients with a fork first and to use your hands only in the end to combine them together and turn them into a ball.
On your working top put the flour, the egg, the sugar, vanilla extract and salt and stir the ingredients in well
Add the cold diced butter and with a fork mix it in well with the other ingredients.
Then working with your hands combine the ingredients well together and make them into a ball. If it feels sticky on your hands put it in the fridge for 30 minutes wrapped in cling film. Then flatten the pastry with a rolling pin
Lay the pastry on a round baking tray and pinch it all over with a fork
Spread a tbsp of jam all over the bottom of the tart
Peel and finally slice the apples, mix them up with a a tbsp of lemon and a tbsp of sugar and lay them nicely onto the pastry
Now spread the flaked almonds all over the apples and cook the tart at 200C for 25-30 minutes until the pastry at the edge looks nice and golden.
Make the gelatin and pour it over the apples. Let it rest until the gelatin has settled and cooled down before serving.
ContributionsTried this Recipe? Show us how it turned out!
RelatedRecipes similar to Apple and almonds tart
- my most amazing plum tartBritish, Dessert - 180 mins prep timeBy Rashmi Adiga
- Almond Tartlets French, Dessert - 45 mins prep timeBy ayshecavidan
- Raspberry CrostataItalian, Breakfast - 50 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha
- Apple Raspberry CrumbleAmerican, Dessert - 50 mins prep timeBy Deepak Saagar Kalaikadal
- Mini French Apple TartFrench, Dessert - 60 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha
- Home made bread with herbs and olive oilItalian, Snack - 45 mins prep timeBy Alida Zamparini
- Apple Goat Cheese King Cake120 mins prep timeBy SutekhRising
- Italian Easter brioche with encased eggsItalian, Dessert - 30 mins prep timeBy Alida Zamparini
- Traditional Battenberg CakeEnglish, Dessert - 120 mins prep timeBy Lejna Ramachandran
- Dried cherry and white chocolate muffinsEnglish, Breakfast - 45 mins prep timeBy Nedha
- Apple Strawberry Jam with No knead breadBaking, Breakfast - 60 mins prep timeBy Teena Sunoj
- Lets do breakfast- Oatmeal MuffinsBreakfastBy aishwarya
- PopTartsAmerican, Breakfast - 120 mins prep timeBy Pandara
- Cherry Cinnamon CakeCakes, Dessert - 35 mins prep timeBy Richa Mitra
- Buchty (Sweet Jam-Filled Buns)European, Breakfast - 60 mins prep timeBy Sanaa A'esha
- "Little Hearts"Snack - 15 mins prep timeBy Happily Spiced
- Banana & Apple cake without eggs and oil.British, Dessert - 45 mins prep timeBy Rajya Laxmi Nishtala
- Choco-Walnut TartAmerican, Dessert - 100 mins prep timeBy Medini Mangala
- Buche De Noel or Christmas Log cake with hand m...French, Dessert - 120 mins prep timeBy Nirmala Prem
- Crumbly, Velvety Chocolate TartEnglish, Dessert - 180 mins prep timeBy Ninitha Koya